Our computer systems are a repository for gigabytes of data. But, over time, this might deteriorate the general health of your device and offer data security risks. With the best file shredder software, you can easily handle this scenario by deleting undesired data from your device.
Files and folders can be recovered with a file recovery tool after being erased from your device. An effective file shredder for Windows guarantees complete data sanitization and can completely delete the data on your behalf.
A file is not completely removed from your computer until its space is replaced.
The following is an updated list of the best Windows file shredder software for 2023. These applications employ effective data sanitization techniques such as AFSSI-5020, Secure Erase, NCSC-TG-025, Pfitzner, NZSIT-402, Write Zero, and others.
Let’s take a look at some of the most widely used and dependable file shredders for Windows in 2023 that may permanently destroy your data.
For Windows 10, and 11, What Are The Best File Shredder Software Options in 2024?
Choose the best-suited file shredder application from the list below to permanently erase and wipe all of your data.
Eraser is our #1 choice among Windows file shredders. It is a sophisticated program that allows you to permanently and securely wipe data from your hard disk.
- It is an open-source tool that is compatible with Windows XP and later versions.
- A cutting-edge and dependable file shredder that removes data in seconds and erases any lingering traces, rendering your data irreversible.
- It is a free program that allows you to schedule an erase.
- It offers roughly 13 distinct wipe methods and is accessible in several languages.
- This flexible and adaptable file shredder window employs a variety of data sanitization techniques, such as RCMP, VSITR, Gutmann, Random Data, and others.
2. O&O SafeErase
If you’re seeking for a secure file shredder for your Windows device, O&O SafeErase can help. It provides a simple approach to protect your sensitive data by permanently wiping files and directories.
- Its most popular function, Quick Wipe, allows you to remove critical data in a matter of seconds.
- For unmatched outcomes, it employs a variety of data sanitization techniques.
- Windows 10, 8.1, and 7 are all compatible with it.
- Delete and wipe data from files, folders, USB sticks, memory cards, and much more with this feature-rich file shredder for Windows.
3. MooO File Shredder
MooO File Shredder is yet another strong and simple safe file shredder. It’s quite simple to use; simply drag and drop the files you wish to permanently delete and that’s it.
- A file shredder that is a must-have that may easily wipe your data, rendering it unrecoverable.
- It is available in different languages and provides immediate and unrivaled results.
- It works with all Windows versions, including XP/Vista/7/8.1/10.
- It displays a confirmation pop-up box on your computer before removing your files and directories.
- This fantastic and safe file shredder uses a variety of data sanitization techniques, including Random Data, DoD 5220.22 M, and Gutmann.
4. Secure Eraser
Secure Eraser comes in second place on our list of the best and most dependable Windows file shredders. It is a go-to PC care program that not only easily erases your data but also protects your important info and provides complete privacy.
- It effectively deletes and overwrites your data, rendering it irreversible.
- You may effortlessly destroy data as well as any lingering traces and cross-references with this data-disposable and secure file shredder.
- You can select a simple and simple-to-use file shredder Windows program.
- Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10 are all compatible with it.
- It employs data sanitization techniques such as Gutmann, VSITR, and DoD 5220.22 M. If you are using Windows 10, you may additionally toggle and select your own data sanitization techniques.
5. HardDisk Scrubber
HardDisk Scrubber is yet another outstanding and best file shredder that permanently erases your data. This powerful tool overwrites your data, rendering it unrecoverable.
- It is a dependable file shredder for Windows that functions flawlessly. Just add the file you want to remove and select the Scrub Files option.
- You may even design your own scrub pattern for wiping files and folders.
- The file shredder is free.
- It runs smoothly on Windows 2000 and subsequent versions.
- Data sanitization techniques employed by this secure file shredder program include random data, AFSSI-5020, and DoD 5220.22-M.
6. Wipe File
Following on our list of basic yet efficient Windows file shredders in 2023 is Wipe File. The program has a simple and intuitive drag-and-drop approach for permanently removing files from your device.
- It is lightweight and portable, and it can be readily installed on your computer.
- It is compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10.
- It employs around 14 distinct wiping methods and is a freeware file shredder.
- It is accessible in a variety of languages.
- Nato Standard, Random Data, Gutmann, MS Cipher, and other data sanitization techniques are only a few of the techniques employed by this Windows file shredder.
BitKiller is the next program on our list of trustworthy and effective file shredders for Windows. It employs a drag-and-drop technique and provides several overwrite possibilities.
- This fantastic file shredder program requires no setup and is really simple to use.
- It runs smoothly on Windows XP/Vista, 10, 8, 8.1, and 7.
- It provides a safe and secure technique to permanently delete data from your hard disk.
- The data sanitation techniques employed by this Windows file shredder utility include Write Zero and Gutmann.
8. PC Shredder
PC Shredder is yet another simple-to-use file shredder software option. The tool has a portable design and is driven by an easy-to-use interface and basic operation.
- It comes in a convenient 300KB size.
- It is totally compatible with all Windows versions.
- It quickly and easily deletes your files and directories.
9. Lavasoft File Shredder
Lavasoft File Shredder is our final recommendation on our list of top-rated and secure file shredders. One-stop utility software that is simple to use.
- It may permanently delete your files and directories without leaving a trace.
- It works with Windows XP, Vista, 8, 7, and 10.
- It guarantees total digital security by erasing your computing history.
10. Kernel File Shredder
Kernel File Shredder is the second best file shredder program on our list. It is the best software for preventing illegal access to your data by immediately destroying it. Also, it is the best way to permanently erase unwanted files. Apart from that, it is a highly standardized instrument capable of retrieving data from shredded files.
- File shredding is performed using high-level shredding algorithms and settings.
- File shredding tasks can be scheduled.
- Saves shredding task information in log files.
- Offers a number of file shredding options, including Shred File, Folder, Unusual Files, and Recycling Bin.
- Before permanently shredding the files and directories, you can rename them.
Next on our list is Hardwipe, a data sanitization toolset that promises to permanently and safely erase data on disk and external storage devices. Furthermore, it ensures that no one can obtain or access raw information. For a boot with Windows PE, integration is rather simple.
- Contains all of the most important sanitation methods, including GOST R 50739-95, Gutmann, Schneier, and DOD 5220.22-M.
- Personal usage is completely free, however commercial use necessitates the purchase of a pro version.
- Once the wiping procedure is complete, it generates log reports.
- It promises to safely and permanently destroy data by shredding only one folder at a time.
Freeraser is the last name on this list of the best file shredding software for Windows. The program is amazing and allows you to easily delete or shred any file. You may also drag and drop the file into the software’s recycle bin and shred it as necessary.
- GOST R 50739-95, Gutmann, Schneier, and DOD 5220.22-M are all used in the tool.
- Downloading and using the software are both completely free.
- Windows 11, 10, 8, 8.1, 7, XP, and earlier versions are all compatible with the software.
- Downloadable versions of the software are available as a standalone application or as a portable solution.